Let’s hope this a sign of things to come.
This past weekend, the Grand Rapids Drive won back-to-back games against the Delaware 87ers and Fort Wayne Mad Ants, improving to 9-10 overall, heading into tonight’s matchup with division co-leader Wisconsin Herd (10-6).
Friday night here in Beer City, the Drive received a career-high 37 points from Jamel Morris to defeat the Sevens 108-100 at the DeltaPlex.
Morris tied his previous high of 20 in the first half as Grand Rapids built a 58-33 halftime lead. Delaware got the better of the Drive in the second half but could not overcome their pathetic first two quarters.
Newcomer K.J. McDaniels, picked up via the available player pool, scored 26 points in his debut for GR. Landry Nnoko continued to add to his double-double collection, finishing with 18 points and a franchise second-best 19 rebounds (Willie Reed, 23). Jon Horford grabbed 14 rebounds to help the Drive win the battle of the boards, 53-44. Grand Rapids played only seven players in the game.
Those seven players had a quick turnaround as the Drive, the affiliate of the Detroit Pistons, played in Fort Wayne Saturday night.
McDaniels, in his second game for GR, scored 29 points to lead the Drive. Nnoko doubled up again with 20 points and 20 rebounds.
“Speedy” Kenneth Smith was the late news of the night, though. Smith scored 16 points in the final period and hit a three-pointer with 43.5 seconds remaining that put the Drive up for good.
Horford again hit double figures in rebounds with 12 and Morris followed up his career night with a 10-point effort.
The game was broadcast on Twitch.
Grand Rapids heads to Wisconsin tonight to take on the Herd, the affiliate of the Milwaukee Bucks. The game can be seen on Facebook Live.
Pick Your Favorite for Beer of the Year!
- Wheezin' The Juice - Grand Armory (May) (21%, 11 Votes)
- M-43 - Old Nation (July) (19%, 10 Votes)
- Cascading Into Darkness - City Built (June) (19%, 10 Votes)
- KBS - Founders (March) (10%, 5 Votes)
- Dirty Dank Juice - Odd Side Ales (August) (10%, 5 Votes)
- Blue Sunday - New Holland (February) (8%, 4 Votes)
- Hopslam - Bell's (January) (6%, 3 Votes)
- Lift Bridge Brown - Keweenaw (September) (4%, 2 Votes)
- Hopsun - B.O.B. (April) (2%, 1 Votes)
- 4 Elf - Dark Horse (December) (2%, 1 Votes)
- Oktoberfest - Pigeon Hill (October) (0%, 0 Votes)
- Bockefeller - Atwater (November) (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 52