The #4-ranked Grace Bible College Tigers played split their first two games in the Super 8 Classic this week. Hosted at Kentucky Christian University, the top talent in NCCAA D-2 was on hand.
In Thursday’s opening game, Grace escaped with a 92-90 victory over the host and #4-ranked Kentucky Christian Knights.
Grace trailed the Knights at the half by five points and were behind by eight with under 10 minutes to go before going on a 21-6 run to take the lead. The Tigers held on from the free throw line in the final minutes and survived a half-court heave at the buzzer.
Brandon Winchester-Jones recorded career-highs of 28 points and eight assists. Grant Garrison joined in with 16 points and Adam Kregel added 13 points.
Friday afternoon, Grace lost 86-82 to Johnson University Tennessee, the #8-ranked team in NCCAA D-2.
The Tigers took an early lead and showed their dominance in the first half. Grace led 41-30 at the half.
Johnson would fight hard to get back into the game, pulling within 56-47 with 14 minutes to go. They would tie the game at 61-61 before Grace went on a 7-0 run with 8:23 left. Johnson regained the lead at 71-70 with 6:03 left in the game. A couple key three-pointers extended the Johnson lead to 81-75 but Grace hit a deep ball of their own and fought back to an 82-79 deficit with 1:32 left. The Tigers had a final chance to tie the game with a three but Johnson got a defensive rebound to seal the deal after a couple foul shots with 1.8 seconds left.
Grace will finish off the trip with a matchup against Carolina Christian College on Saturday afternoon and return to Michigan with a visit to Hope College on Tuesday.
Pick Your Favorite for Beer of the Year!
- Wheezin' The Juice - Grand Armory (May) (21%, 11 Votes)
- M-43 - Old Nation (July) (19%, 10 Votes)
- Cascading Into Darkness - City Built (June) (19%, 10 Votes)
- KBS - Founders (March) (10%, 5 Votes)
- Dirty Dank Juice - Odd Side Ales (August) (10%, 5 Votes)
- Blue Sunday - New Holland (February) (8%, 4 Votes)
- Hopslam - Bell's (January) (6%, 3 Votes)
- Lift Bridge Brown - Keweenaw (September) (4%, 2 Votes)
- Hopsun - B.O.B. (April) (2%, 1 Votes)
- 4 Elf - Dark Horse (December) (2%, 1 Votes)
- Oktoberfest - Pigeon Hill (October) (0%, 0 Votes)
- Bockefeller - Atwater (November) (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 52