Here is our look back at this week’s Grand Rapids Griffins action:
- The Detroit Red Wings reassigned defenseman Vili Saarijarvi to the ECHL’s Toledo Walleye from the Griffins. Saarijarvi was reassigned to Grand Rapids from the OHL’s Flint Firebirds last week and did not appear in any games.
- The Griffins lost their fourth straight game. They lost to the Central Division-leading Milwaukee Admirals 4-1. Tuesday’s game was Grand Rapids’ final regular-season appearance at the BMO Harris Bradley Center. The Admirals have played at the Bradley Center since 1988 and will be moving to the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Panther Arena beginning in the 2016-17 season. The Griffins have played 77 regular season games at the Bradley Center, the most out of any of the 58 road venues Grand Rapids has played in over the last 20 seasons, and own a 33-29-5-5-5 (0.526) record. The Griffins are 0-2 in playoff games there, as the two former IHL foes have met just once in the postseason (2005-06 Western Conference Finals, Milwaukee won series 4-0).
- Signed forward Kyle Criscuolo to an amateur tryout for the remainder of the 2015-16 season and to a standard player’s contract for 2016-17. A native of Southampton, N.J., Criscuolo played four seasons for the Harvard Crimson (ECAC), where he appeared in 124 games and tallied 113 points (53-60—113).
- Recalled defenseman Joel Chouinard from the ECHL’s Toledo Walleye. Chouinard accumulated three points (1-2—3) and a plus-three rating in eight games for Grand Rapids this season. He scored the game-winning goal in his Griffins debut, a 4-3 win at Iowa on Feb. 13.
- Tom McCollum was named the team’s winner of the IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year award for his outstanding contributions to the Grand Rapids community during the 2015-16 season. This season, McCollum has enhanced his already established relationship with the Boys & Girls Clubs of Grand Rapids with his involvement and participation in the Flagstar Floor Hockey program that was launched in January.
- The Griffins scored six unanswered goals – including four third-period tallies – to snap a four-game losing streak, routing the Rochester Americans 6-1 on Friday at Blue Cross Arena. Tom McCollum stopped 41 of 42 shots to earn his eight win over his last 10 appearances, recording a 1.47 goals against average, a 0.953 save percentage and one shutout in that span. The result also extended the Amerks’ losing streak to four straight.
- The Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs will do battle in an Original Six matchup at the Air Canada Centre while their affiliate clubs, the Griffins and the Marlies, will face off about 2.5 miles away at Ricoh Coliseum. It is the first time the Griffins and Red Wings will both be playing in Toronto on the same night.